- This event has passed.
MAPS Medical Affairs Textbook Release Event
February 15 @ 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM EST
Description: Medical Affairs is one of the three strategic pillars of the pharmaceutical and MedTech industries, but while clear career paths exist for Commercial and Research & Development, there is no formal training structure for Medical Affairs professionals. Medical and scientific expertise is a prerequisite for entry into the function, and many people transitioning into Medical Affairs have advanced degrees such as PhD, MD, or PharmD. However, these clinical/scientific experts may not be especially well-versed in aspects of industry such as the drug development lifecycle, crossfunctional collaborations within industry, and digital tools that are transforming the ways Medical Affairs generates and disseminates knowledge. This textbook offers a primer for aspiring and early-career Medical Affairs professionals, as well as providing a broad understanding of the profession for those seeking a crossfunctional career.
- Defines the purpose and value of Medical Affairs and provides clear career paths for scientific experts seeking their place within the pharmaceutical and MedTech industries.
- Provides guidance and baseline competencies for roles within Medical Affairs including Medical Communications, Evidence Generation, Field Medical, Compliance, and many others.
- Specifies the “true north” of the Medical Affairs profession as ensuring patients receive maximum benefit from industry innovations including drugs, diagnostics and devices.
- Presents the purpose and specific roles of Medical Affairs roles across organization types including biotechs, small/medium/large pharma and device/diagnostic companies, taking into account adjustments in the practice of Medical Affairs to meet the needs of developing fields such as rare disease and gene therapy.
- Leverages the expertise of over 70 Medical Affairs leaders across companies, representing the first unified, global understanding of the Medical Affairs profession.
MAPS Director of Communications & Marketing
CMO, PDS Biotechnology